Where were you when you heard that Obama would be the next American president? I was in bed, it was 6am, and I got a text from my dad with lots of exclamation marks. I almost cried with joy, as I know many did do. On Facebook, my friends' statuses were jubilant, my clients that day had renewed vigour, women at the gym were beaming. It was literally as if the air had changed, the atmosphere had a different smell, the whole world was a different colour.As far as I saw it, this wasn't about a man of mixed-race who represented triumph at the end of a long, hard civil rights battle. I'm not naive enough to believe that all divisions and inequalities had dissolved. Obama is still a middle-class, Christian, heterosexual male and as such has more demographically in common with George Bush than with me. The day he was elected was also the day Californians voted against same-sex marriage.
No, what is new and refreshing and inspirational is this man's ability to hold a vision and expand it to an ever-increasing slice of the world. To touch more and more people with his realistic idealism, his genuinely-believed "Anything is possible" ideology, his focus on peace, democracy and earth stewardship. He stands in his role as a true leader, someone you can believe in and trust in. How he speaks - no notes, so relaxed, so in his body - inspired me to buy a book on Transformational Speaking, so hungry was I to learn what he does so seemingly effortlessly.
My client summed it up beautifully, saying: "I feel now we can shake off the cynicism". For a while now, my friend and I have had a familiar faithful conversation where we bemoan the lack of true leaders in the world. Now, we don't get to play so passive any more. Obama shows that we need to throw away the excuses and say "Yes we can" - and then get on and do it.
If we want leaders like Obama, we need to support them, vote for them, become them. There is no shortage of brilliant, inspirational people in our world. Let's just make sure they know how significant they are and play the roles they are here to play.
Do Things Differently
1) Make a list of ten people, alive today, who give you hope, who inspire you, who you're happy to have in charge of their slice of the world, no matter how big or small that piece is. Alongside their name, identify why it matters that they play that role.
2) Share this with each of them - alert that person to their own significance. They might not have a clue. Also, find a way of supporting them.
3) Scan the list you made in the first section and notice which values popped up repeatedly. Allow yourself to realise what's most important/significant for you - this might help you with the next step...
4) Finally, identify which slice of life you are currently responsible for. How are you doing? What's next for YOU as a leader in this area? (Hint: It's probably a step that feels scary) Do it! :-)
(c) Corrina Gordon-Barnes, 2008

5 comments:
There are soooo many people who inspire me - hence the name of my business! - so these are literally the first ten names which came to mind - people who are leading their lives in such ways that others want to follow.
1) Barack Obama - a genuine, caring man with integrity and soul. Seems genuinely committed to doing the right thing for people and planet.
2) Caroline Lucas - again, a woman committed to sensible, intelligent, honest evaluation of what our planet needs us to do. The best MP I think this country has.
3) Laura Howard West -a dedicated pioneer, helping people to live juicy, big, joyful lives.
4) Charlie - brave and committed enough to overcome obstacles, internal and external, in order to be of service to the women who need her support
5) Rosanna - already a yoga teacher at age 22, she shows that people can go straight from education in to work they're passionate about
6) Ruth Rogers - her Body Gossip project is a one-woman mission to tackle the nation's views on body image
7) Sam - an outstanding teacher who sees the teenagers in her care as precious human beings, worthy of her time and energy
8) Ellen De Generes - the highest profile out-and-proud gay woman, blazing a trail with gentleness and intelligence
9) Benjamin - who survived and now thrives when there was once only such a tiny glimmer of hope
10) Catie - who radically uprooted her life and as such was able to give me a most incredible gift
Off I go to contact each of these people to let them know what great, inspirational leaders they are.
My values - genuineness, integrity, hope, intelligence, commitment, trail-blazing, people & planet, missions
What's next for me is doing a lot more public speaking. It scares me because I know I get excited and talk very fast! My commitment is to put myself forward for as much speaking as possible so that I can practise, practise, practise and eventually slow down enough for everyone to enjoy it :-)
LOVE this!
So uplifting to think of those who are inspirational rather than those who are disappointing... as we are wont to do with politicians.
Have got 5 people so far will post back later with a complete list.
Thank you for keeping the hope and optimism inspired by the election result alive.
Rosalyn
I was so in accord with this piece, for which many thanks. I sat up all night, just to experience
that amazing feeling of freshness when the results came in at 4.00 from
California and Washington State that clinched it. Throughout the night I
was e-mailing friends in different time zones as their results came in
and experienced too their enormous pleasure and relief - and *pride*
that America had finally got it right.
You are the first person who has also observed what I have. This is not simply the election of a black man. This was America chosing the most
idealist, decent, honourable, almost truly American, man who also
happens to be black.
And I have also said, as did your friend, that American politics has now
shuffled off that dirty, tight, cynical sheath inside which it has
lived. I felt the same when Blair was elected and, whatever the outcome
of that, and despite some of the disappointments, you do feel that
politics in this country will take a long time to return to the previous
sour, cynical ways. Cameron moulds himself on Blair, not on previous
leaders.
It felt like a new world then. It feels like a new world now.
And I shall instantly tell my heroes how influential they are. Not least my husband.
Again, your words reflect my own thoughts and feelings. I thank you.
I remember having similar feelings as I watched the women and men hacking away at the Berlin Wall in 1989.
Then the former Yugoslavia began to divide and take up arms.
Around the same time, in 1991, the UK went into recession.
I am noticing a pattern:
Major (unbelievable) worldwide shifts, alongside world financial contraction.
A pattern is forming. I intend to look into this more...... Is this something that we can expect every 'so many' years?
OK, my list of ten follows.
None of my answers are perfect people, all have feet of clay. And actually that makes them more inspiring:
1/Barack Obama – for not taking the easy route, for his grassroots work despite his privileged education and his ability to listen and inspire hope.
2/Florence Terry – for her generosity and willingness to flout convention and consumerism.
3/ and 4/Coaches – Both Molly Gordon and Corrina Gordon-Barnes for their authenticity and willingness to share of their lives, including the personal in order to help others.
5/Tina Southgate for her determination, boldness, courage and strength in the face of adversity.
6/MP Clare Short for being principled, her strong ethics in connection with international development and her campaign against page 3 for which she received so much ridicule.
7/Jamie Oliver for campaigning within his field for people to eat real food and also championing organic food and cruelty free farming.
8/Birmingham Head of Women’s Aid for her championing of the rights of women suffering domestic violence.
9/Roy Searle – for his work founding the Northumbria Community, a dispersed order of ‘monasticism of the heart’, who seek God through being available to others and vulnerable.
10/And my late grandfather Cyril Leonard for studying for a degree in his thirties, for daring to think that he could change his life and be more and do more and never losing his hunger for learning.
Rosalyn
My own blog post inspired by yours:
http://rosalynclare-coaching.co.uk/inspired-by-obama/
Post a Comment